| Towering cumulus near the Texas/Oklahoma border. (photo Tom LeCompte) |
I like to take people flying. I
like to give them a view they can’t get from the tiny porthole on an
airliner—to let them experience the process of piloting and to see the breadth
and beauty of the landscape laid out before them like an exotic fabric.
The world looks very different from
the air. Size, distance and scale are all altered. Harsh edges soften, contours
flatten, colors blend and fade as if viewed through gauzy film. Fine details
vanish and what emerges is the abstract geometry that man imposes on the
landscape: checkerboard farms, straight-edge railways, knotted highway
interchanges, the paisley swirl of housing developments dotted with aquamarine
jewels of backyard swimming pools.
| Somewhere over South Dakota (photo Charles LeCompte) |
From the air, even the most familiar places seem
new and disorienting. For example, people inevitably ask to see their
house. Fair enough. I’m happy to oblige. But just as inevitably, most have a
very difficult time finding their house. Without the usual landmarks used to navigate on the ground, they are
lost.
In the days before GPS, getting lost
was a pretty easy thing to do in a plane. A sectional chart contains a ton of
valuable information about the land you’re overflying—basic topography,
airfields, railways, major highways, radio towers and assorted landmarks—but in
the summer haze mountains all kind of look the same and in unfamiliar areas one
highway looks pretty much like every other highway. I remember as a student
pilot landing at the wrong airport during my solo cross-country. After handing my logbook over to be signed by the desk clerk, I was informed of my
mistake. I grabbed the logbook back and slunk back to the plane to make the
10-minute flight to the correct airport 15 miles to the west.
For me, a big part flying has been
about the view, about seeing new things or seeing familiar things in a
completely different way. The world reveals itself when you’re flying, and the
conventional barriers to seeing things on the ground are no longer in the way.
![]() |
| A pod of porpoise off Cape Cod. (photo Wayne Davis) |
A friend of mine, Wayne, a former
tuna spotter turned oceanic wildlife spotter and photographer took me up in his
small, tandem-seat Citabria. We flew out to Oceanographer Canyon, about 120
miles southeast of Nantucket, an underwater chasm on the edge of the Continental
Shelf at the intersection of the warm Gulf Stream and colder New England
waters, a confluence for all kinds of wildlife. A sharp line on the ocean
surface delineates the border between the cloudy greenish waters of New England
and the deep blue waters of the Gulf Stream. In the space of 40 minutes we saw
pods of thousands of porpoise, fin whales, sperm whales, swordfish, manta rays
(generally a warm water species), great white sharks and whale sharks. At one
point, we were circling over a lone sperm whale, watching it as it slowly
rolled onto its side and then tipped vertically in the water.
“Is it sick or dead?” I asked.
“No,” said Wayne. “Just sleeping.”
On the flight home, Wayne chatted
about his days as a commercial fisherman and his lifelong passion for the
ocean.
“I can’t tell you how often I’ve
heard people describe the ocean as ‘featureless,’ ” he said. “They have no
idea.”
![]() |
| Sand bars off Monomoy Island, Cape Cod. (photo Tom LeCompte) |
Even the most common things can seem
almost magical when seen from above—the sandbars off Monomoy Island glowing
like an aurora; a mountain lake, it’s surface like a mirror reflecting the
clouds above it; the evening rush hour traffic on Route 128 a meandering river
of lights. Then there are the landscapes above the clouds—landscapes that seem
created as if solely for you—towers of cumulus stretching skyward, forming
canyons between them with the sunlight playing upon the ever-shifting surfaces.
There is always something new,
something different to see when airborne. It’s why, even after 30 years of
flying, I still request a window seat when flying commercial.
To fly is to be disconnected from
the earth, both literally and figuratively. Once the wheels leave the ground,
all my earthly concerns—the aggravations and petty annoyances, the grind of
deadlines and phone calls, the stultifying routine of daily life—all that is,
well, down there. Wherever I am is exactly where I want to be. I am totally in
the moment.
Flying is freedom.


Comments
Post a Comment